Monday, December 30, 2013

Insurgent by Veronica Roth


Now I must say that after the riveting first novel in this series, I was just slightly bored and annoyed with this second installment. It was very good and was definitely full of amazing scenes and characters just like its counterpart, but while I was a supporter of Tris in the first book, she somewhat made me want to smack her upside the head in this one.

Let me explain.

Tris is a strong girl. There is no doubt about that and I am definitely not arguing this fact, but throughout Insurgent she was hiding behind her killing of one of her best friends. She was using this killing to justify so many stupid decisions she made. One of them being not telling her other friends about this so-called secret, which was not really a secret at all. I mean, she could have probably avoided some conflict if she had just come out with it. 

Now I know what you all are probably saying, "But that would not make for a good story," and you would be right, but I don't know. It seems to me that she calls others out for being untruthful to her, when she is doing the exact same thing. In a time where no one can be trusted, can we really trust Tris more than anybody? Just because the story focuses on her as a main character does not mean she is not capable of turning on a dime.

But, like I said, despite her actions and thoughts and supposed justification of both, this book was an overall really good read. It brought to light more information about some of the characters we got to know really well in Divergent, and it began to show other characters' true intentions and colors.

I have the third and last installment in this series on the back-burner but will get to it soon to find out what happens next.

No comments:

Post a Comment