Wednesday, April 9, 2014

An Unexpected Performance by Kim Smith


When I first read the blurb of this book, I was excited to read it. I mean come on, who doesn't love a theater or play aspect in a story. Especially one where the main characters are transported to another time where they actually have to bring their characters to life in a true setting and not just on the stage.

So initially I was quite intrigued as to what was going to happen to the main characters when they were transported. Who would they encounter, what would they do, how would they act? At first, both acted as I would expect. They were confused and a little in disbelief as to what happened. And of course once they met some people of that time they struggled just a bit to make themselves sound like they fit in. But after awhile I kind of expected them to acclimate at least somewhat to their surroundings. I mean, until they found out how to get back to their own time they would have to pretty much make the best of things. However, that took a little bit longer than I expected, well at least for CJ. Sometimes I felt she was a bit whiny, as if she was so used to our world that she really could not get used to theirs. Apart from her and Josh eventually being separated and her horror at being alone, but the people of that time treated her quite nicely. Well, those at the house she stayed at anyway. So I just felt she could have acted with a little more grateful of that fact and, again, made the best of things. However Josh, on the other hand, I kind of felt that he was right in his emotions. I mean the boy went through...well...you'll just have to read to find out.

But despite the excess emotions, the story was really good. I loved how detailed it was in regards to the Civil War Era portion. I also loved that there was kind of a story in a story. One that I believe connected both CJ and Josh's time with the time they are sent back to. I kind of want more now, because this story kind of left me hanging a little bit. I can just feel another story coming on, and I hope the author does too.

No comments:

Post a Comment