Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Goodnight Tweetheart by Teresa Medeiros


I picked this book up at my local Dollar General after a few weeks of contemplating actually getting it. I am what you call a book hoarder, because I own more books than I have read, but while I am solving that issue by giving away the ones I have read, I still have quite a few to get rid of. Knowing that, I bought this one anyway.

Usually I can name the one thing that catches my eye when I first see a book that I want to buy. Sometimes it is the cover, sometimes the blurb itself, and sometimes it is both. But in this case, neither was what truly goaded me into buying this. I knew I had to buy it the moment I opened the book to a random spot and began reading. The spot I had opened it to was a page of tweets between the two main characters. The moment I saw that, a small laugh almost erupted from me. I thought it was kind of cool. A book based on tweets. How neat.

The story obviously does not start with tweets, but with an introduction to the main character. Abigail Donovan is an author who had a one-hit wonder years back, and who has been struggling ever since to finish her second novel with no luck. So when her publicist basically forces her to interact with her readers by making her a Twitter account, it seems like a hopeless endeavour. Until a man named Mark contacts her.
Mark breaks down her walls little by little as the pages go by, and he makes her see herself and her writing in a whole new light. He teaches her the value of writing for herself instead of for others and shows her that she has so many more stories inside of her just waiting to come out into the open.

This was an amazingly sweet book that made me laugh and feel a sadness too. It kind of taught me something as an aspiring author as well. I highly recommend this book to anyone and everyone willing to read it. It is phenomenal and did not disappoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment